St. Mary’s is a Catholic co-educational primary school situated on the western edge of the town of Bairnsdale. The school is situated next to Nagle College which offers Catholic education for students from Years 7 to 12.
Catholic schooling was first offered in Bairnsdale as early as the 1870s but the earliest registration was not until 1898 when the Sisters of Sion opened a Sub-Primary School. The school has also been administered by the Sisters of St. Joseph and the Presentation Sisters.
The school moved to its existing site in 2004 and has modern facilities including a Chapel, Art Room, Music Room, Gymnasium and a newly refurbished Resource Centre. The school has expansive playing and recreational spaces.
The school exists to provide a Catholic education for the students of Bairnsdale and surrounding districts. The school’s motto is ‘Learning and Growing Together’. The staff at St. Mary’s School are dedicated and professional and have a focus on providing the best possible learning outcomes for students.
The school takes seriously its responsibility to support the wellbeing needs of its students through a well structured pastoral care program. Parents are encouraged to be active participants in the life of the school.