At St Mary’s we believe that teaching should engage, inspire and challenge the learner. All students are given the opportunity to engage in a range of experiences that complement classroom units of study. This includes incursions, excursions and camp programs.
The camp program at St Mary’s is scaffolded and commences in Year 2.
Year 2 – Dinner and activities evening at school
Year 3 – School sleepover
Year 4 – One-night stay at Coonawarra Outdoor Adventure Park
Year 5 – Two-night stay at Sovereign Hill
Year 6- Three-night stay in Canberra
As part of a comprehensive and balanced curriculum within our school, Home Learning is seen as one way of supporting and fostering life-long learning and connecting families with the learning of their children. Therefore, Home Learning should be:
- appropriate to the student’s skill level and age;
- purposeful, meaningful and relevant to the curriculum;
- interesting, challenging and when appropriate open ended;
- reviewed by teachers with feedback and support provided; and
- balanced with a range of recreational, family and cultural activities.